Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying Rap Battles Forum but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Produce "In-House" for a Major Label or Freelance! What Would You Do?

Produce "In-House" for a Major Label or Freelance! What Would You Do?

What up.

Hip Hop-Rap Production opportunities have somewhat exploaded for new producers over the past 10 years.
    Though there is still a relatively low number of well-known producers, it could be argued that new producers have more of chance these days, than they did in days past.
    That bein' said:

Given the choice, what would you choose to do?
    Produce "In-House" for a Major Label or Freelance as an independent producer, with no affiliation (contractual or otherwise) with any label?

one

Sa'id
    (718) 272-4202, (917) 270-2005
    said@superchamponline.com
    www.superchamponline.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You've Earned a Custom Title! Hybrid's Avatar
    Battle Record
    5-2
    freelance - then if i got signed to roc-a-fella or arista do in house. cause they promote feedom of expression u dunt have to make wat they want like a gansta based album you can make ur own style.

Battle Record
    16-3
    Major Label.. why even ask.... Independent = nothing compared to the money you can make in major label work.. and even if you are with major labels, you can still produce for anyone you want cos you'll most likely have your own imprint

Battle Record
    7-1
    It'd better to start off in-house cuz you can work your way up wit connections, plus if your backed by a strong label, you're more likely to do tracks for other artists cuz they will affiliate you wit a quality label. Then if you get big enuff to talk mess, go freelance and start signin your own cats to your own label.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Leave me alone

What up.

That's a good point.
    If part of any producer's aim is to get paid, producing in-house with a major label (and sometimes independent) isn't a bad move!

In many cases, you get paid regularly, whether your beats are used or not; sometimes on a salary basis, word up.
    And if you know how to negotiate, you can get terms that are to your advantage.

For example, you could get the right to sell x amount of beats per month, outside of the label on your own.
    In a deal like this, you stand to be all right either way, nahmean.

I'm all for freelance, however, the success of a freelance producer depends on the cohesion of three main factors: Quality of Beats, Notoriety, and Location.
    (The cohesion of these factors are less critical to an In-House producer).

All in all, you could make it either way.
    But on the real, sometimes it's more beneficial for a producer to get with a team, that's been doin' it already...
    More importantly, a team that has and can provide production work for them.

Another point:
    in most cases, In-House producers do not have to pay for studio time. And, they often receive gear & equipment budgets!

one

Sa'id
    (718) 272-4202, (917) 270-2005
    said@superchamponline.com
    www.superchamponline.com
    Last edited by BeatTips; March 31st, 2004 at 03:22 AM

Battle Record
    5-3
    well coming from a producer... myself..

i much rather be a in-house producer... because your price sky rockets once you obtain affiliation. Especially if you got the talent to back it up... and not just runnin off a affiliation name.

good example...kanye.
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    8-0
    Quote Originally Posted by Syntax Mastery
    well coming from a producer... myself..

i much rather be a in-house producer... because your price sky rockets once you obtain affiliation. Especially if you got the talent to back it up... and not just runnin off a affiliation name.

good example...kanye.
    True...Kanye is a prime example..
    I wud do the same..^^
    Boom tick its Brix!

You've Earned a Custom Title!
    Battle Record
    5-5
    if u don't puffy well diddy is the richest and best producer out now so i would sign wit him

You've Earned a Custom Title!
    Battle Record
    5-5
    but i would say in house producer