User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Text and Topical Writing 101

Battle Record
    45-8
    Awards Legendary Audio ABL Champion BOTW AOTM AOTW Legendary Member - Award Request Accepted

Text and Topical Writing 101

metaphor
    you say one thing is another. like if you said 'my style is gravity', that's a metaphor. your style = gravity.

allegory
    metaphor with a full explanation. like if you continued your meta and said, 'my style is gravity, everybody fall because of it' this is an allegory.

symbol
    symbol is a part of something that stands for the whole thing. like instead of saying like you smoke cess, you say you smoke puff. cos when you smoke cess, you breathe out the smoke, you puff. so puff = cess. or if you said 'my @@@@@s is the peel and you: straight slippin' that could mean peel = bananas = crazy and slippin = meet your downfall if you step to them.

metonymy
    when you compare something by what it what happens when you do it. like when some people call freestyling spittin, that's a metonymy. talking = spittin (while you talk)

metalepsis
    like a metonymy but even more intense. like if you said 'my spits drown your earsnares' then spits = words, drown = fill cos you're talking loud, and earsnares = eardrums cos snares are drums.

implication
    you sort of say something without saying it directly, you imply it. like if you was to say 'me and my @@@@@s break bread together' you don't really mean real bread, you mean you divide up your money. but the way you say it, people know what you mean. so bread = money here.

personification
    you make inanimate objects act like people. like when bounty killa says his gun bark and bite, he means his gun makes nuff noise when he bus off shots and the bite is when bullets lick people. bark = gunshot noise and bite = bullet wounds here.

antipersonification
    is the opposite to personification. you make people act like inanimate objects. like if you said 'ya moms is a doorknob, she gives every @@@@@ a turn.' then mom = doorknob.

simile
    when you say something is 'like' something or 'as' ... as something. if you said 'got honeys like sand on the beach' that's a simile, (lots of) girls = (lots of) sand on the beach

parable
    when you compare the two different things in your simile. like if you said 'got honeys like sand on the beach, love to get tossed up, always in reach, grab a handful of fine brownskin tans, and when they get all wet they just stick to me, man.' that compares sand and your girls, cos it describes both.

quotation
    is where you repeat something else someone said before you. like if you said 'common is right. i see the bitch in yoo too' that's a quotation.

colloquialisms
    colloquialisms are slang words or phrases like 'get busy' or 'drop it like it's hot' or 'beat that face' that people use. you build on these when you're using metas and punchlines so it's good to know lots of them.

metallage
    when you treat a colloquialism like a person. like if you said, 'i ain't tryin to hear yes yes y'all, i done robbed yes yes y'all and beat it down in the hall' that means yes y'all = played out

proverb
    an old saying that you repeat. like when meth said 'i'm a simple man, still i'm never satisfied like the stones' that's called a dueling proverb cos you take two proverbs that are opposite to each other and put them against each other.

apologue
    apologue is a fable, you talk about animals or inanimate objects like they're people. any of aesop's fables are good. so is ll cool j's 'milky cereal' from mama said knock you out.

hendiadys/2 for 1
    use 2 nouns to describe a thing instead of just one. like if you said '@@@@@s bite my style like kibbles and bits, head out to cyphers and hold their quibbles and tiffs' that's a hendiadys. style biting = kibbles/bits (different types of dog food). and later, cyphering = quibbles/tiffs (different type of arguments)

hendiatris/3 for 1
    is like hendiadys but using 3 nouns instead of 2. when eminem says 'i'm a cross between manson, esham, and ozzy' that's a hendiatris.

FLOW

First off I'm not the best around here by far, but here are a few things that can help improve on flow.

BAR LENGTH

in most cases (not all), when your flowing you want to have all your bars similar in length. this way your rhyming words will be pretty much always landing in the same spot. but where you put your rhyming words is another topic I will touch apon later.

SYLLABLE COUNT

this is partially hand in hand with bar length. IF you count your syllables in each bar you want to have them around the same as well.. I usually stay around 12-15 syllables per line/bar.
    Practice and you'll find a syllable count which your comfortable with.

BREATH CONTROL

this is a really important factor when doing audio. text not so much. but important none the less.. the previous sections are contributing to breath control as well.. you want to have a steady supply of air in your lungs almost at all times.. theres nothing worse than hearing someone gasp for breath in thier audio. you dont wanna be paced on one bar, then hafta rush the next to spit it out on time for the beat. (I've been guilty of this, I admit it)

RHYME SCHEMES

a rhyme scheme is basically like a blueprint for your writtens or freestyles for that matter. Its all about where your rhyming words are that make this important. Cuz where you rhyme in your lines drastically dictates how your flow will sound.

the "x" represents filler words that pertain to the line but doesnot rhyme

the CAPPED letters such as "A" "B" "C" "D "E" represent your rhyming words.

examples.)
    Ex. 1)
    xxxxxx xxxxxA
    xxxxxx xxxxxA

Ex. 1a)
    "one day I plan to see amongst all of this, smoke and the ashes
    to be a part of this hip hop when you, hopelessly gassed kid"

this is a fairly simple rhyme scheme, the end of each bar is what rhymes. basic, but a good start.

Ex. 2)
    xxxxxA xxxxxB
    xxxxxA xxxxxB

Ex. 2a)
    "I try to see the light but Its seems to me it's dimmin
    and every time i try to do whats right I end up sinnin"

notice the words "light" and "right" approx. in the middle of each bar. that adds an internal rhyme scheme to this.. this is a little more advanced but not hard to get the hang of once you get crackin at it. as well as you have the original end words rhyming..

Ex. 3)

xxAxxx xxxxxA
    xxAxxx xxxxxA

Ex. 3a)
    "I'm tired of wakin-up, havin ta take-the-bus
    sick a not makin-bucks, an bein... flat on my face-wit-luck"

this takes a little more practice and as you get better with multisyllable rhyming you will find this scheme alot easier.

Ex. 4)

A B C D E
    A B C D E

Ex. 4a)

" I spray fools like grafitti with my nouns and verbs
    and stay cool like tahitti smokin pounds of herb"
    Where the fuck was I fore they found me?
    Floatn in a meadow, dragonflies all around me
    Seeded in a ghetto, smokin cigarellos
    Stress oceans try to drown me
    Walking on water like when Christ did, glidin
    Mic in my plam like the trident in the hand of Poseidon

Re: Text and Topical Writing 101

wats a multi?

Battle Record
    0-1

nice guide..

Battle Record
    0-1

good shit, very detailed and informative good lookin XM

this link is created by anand

notice the words "light" and "right" approx. in the middle of each bar. that adds an internal rhyme scheme to this.. this is a little more advanced but not hard to get the hang of once you get crackin at it. as well as you have the original end words rhymin
    --------
    Anand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    27-12

id say you missed addressing a Twist, as far as writing for a competition or league containing topical based writing, gearing your verse with some sort of twist will add so much to your written. i believe a good twist will make for the tie breaker in any topical battle.

Twist: Leading the reader in a direction that allows you to later flip the direction they foresaw in an unexpected direction. this can be done at any point but usually is most powerful towards the end.

a sub division of the twist is:
    Misdirection: intentionally placing key information earlier on in the verse specifically there to pull the readers attention from the up coming twist.

homonyms and Homophones: using words that directly relate to your twist but in the context its being read, the reader associates that word with a different meaning, thus keeping the twist a surprise and adds to the compellingness of the realization when it hits the reader

examples of this could be:

soul, sole
    whole, hole
    break, brake
    wrap, rap, rapping at my chamber door

These examples are best for audio topicals, because the listener cant see the spelling differences

other words that share the same spelling but different meanings are harder to come by and even harder to impliment but if you can successfully do so it is impressive to the reader

tear- could be intended to mean cry, or it could be the term meaning to rip something

Battle Record
    27-12

oh and one more technique ive seen used in topical writing is word association that is meant to strike a punch at the opponent without stealing attention from the topical, it is hard to something like this i think with a seamless effect, it becomes distracting in my opinion but it is a technique used by some
    example:
    Opponents Name: Titanic
    Topic: Drug and alcohol abuse and the negative effects

hes manic and the weight hope held was lost when he drunk
    it was like titanic the way the dope belted out and had his soul sunk

titanic went down reference

another form is to tie the entire verse around the person you are against, if it works out as a insult to that person in someway or another

example:
    the topic is to draw out the hardships of a homosexual on a day to day basis. the
    person writing for this might make the charactor he choses to write about be his
    opponent in some fashion in an insinuation that he is a homosexual

Soule

Annoying.

Battle Record
    27-12

its an elevation thread not an entertainment thread catered to you

Soule

You've no reason to elevate anyone.

Battle Record
    27-12

you would have no idea, youve never seen anything ive written

Battle Record
    45-8
    Awards Legendary Audio ABL Champion BOTW AOTM AOTW Legendary Member - Award Request Accepted

Another individual with my name....but this is just some of the basics, for the new comers you have to crawl before you walk. This is only Volume 1. But thanx for the input and Dagel stop being so confrontational lmao
    Where the fuck was I fore they found me?
    Floatn in a meadow, dragonflies all around me
    Seeded in a ghetto, smokin cigarellos
    Stress oceans try to drown me
    Walking on water like when Christ did, glidin
    Mic in my plam like the trident in the hand of Poseidon